Peas: Export shipments
Peas, on export, are graded in accordance with standard prints and the primary and export grade determinants tables. Foreign material in commercially cleaned peas is treated as a grading factor and not assessed as dockage. Cargoes containing dockage may not be shipped except with permission from the CGC.
Commercially clean (CCLN)
Samples are considered to be commercially clean when:
- Containing 0.2% or less of any small seeds and coarse vegetable matter and,
- Pea hulls constitute 10% or less by weight of the split peas in the sample.
To determine if the sample is processed, the following steps are to be completed:
- Using a Boerner-type divider, divide the sample to obtain a representative portion of at least 1000 grams
- Select the slotted sieve (No. 8, No. 9 or No. 11) that will achieve maximum removal of splits with a minimum loss of whole peas. Nest the selected slotted sieve over a number 4.5 round hole sieve. Sieve the sample, approximately 250 grams at a time, over the nested sieves.
- Broken pea fragments that pass through the 4.5 round hole sieve are to be separated from the small seeds and included in the total percentage of split peas.
- Small seeds passing through the number 4.5 round hole are weighed and the percentage calculated
- The portion remaining on top of the slotted sieve is handpicked to remove coarse vegetable matter and its percentage calculated
- The percentages of small seeds and coarse vegetable matter are added together to determine if the total meets the commercially clean specification
- Splits and pea hulls are separated from the entire sample. Determine if the pea hulls constitute 10% or less by weight of the split peas
If any of the components exceed the allowable limits as defined above, the shipment becomes not commercially clean and dockage is assessed using procedures for primary samples. Dockage is reported to the nearest 0.1%.
A deduction of up to 0.2% is applied to take into account the buildup of attritional material for direct exports only.
Commercial cleanliness is not assessed in Feed peas.
- Date modified: