Disclosure of position reclassifications
On February 25, 2004, the government announced the mandatory publication of information concerning the reclassification of occupied positions in the Public Service of Canada.
This website provides information on the reclassification of positions for the Canadian Grain Commission.
The rules and principles governing the reclassification of occupied positions are outlined in the Guidelines on Reclassification. These guidelines provide Deputy Heads with a framework within which to exercise their delegated classification authority for the reclassification of existing positions.
The following are some scenarios where a change in the duties of a position change would result in a reclassification of the position:
- changes to a departmental or program mandate
- managers reorganize in response to external conditions that increase or decrease available resources
- managers reorganize to make more efficient and effective use of their financial and human resources, such as technology innovations, changes in employee competencies
- managers reassign work among their existing human resources to increase productivity, such as in response to vacancies that require temporary or permanent reassignment of work
- results from a classification grievance
Reclassification of occupied positions in the Public Service of Canada is an important and necessary business management option. However, when contemplating changes to a position that may result in reclassification, management must endeavour to ensure the proper, effective and efficient use of public money. The cost implication associated with upward reclassification must be known, transparent and support accountability for classification decisions.
Government-Wide Position Reclassification Departmental Web Sites: information on these websites will be updated every three months.
Starting with the fourth quarter of 2016-2017, Canadian Grain Commission’s disclosure of position reclassification will be posted to the Open Government section of Canada.ca. Please visit Proactive Disclosure – Position Reclassification.
- Date modified: