Grain Research Laboratory
The research conducted by the Canadian Grain Commission’s Grain Research Laboratory falls under two categories: crop research and technology research.
Crop research programs include:
- Bread and Durum Wheat Research
- Milling and Malting/Research on Barley and Other Grains
- Wheat Enzymes, Asian Products and Analytical Services
- Pulse Research
Research related to crops assesses Canadian grain harvest quality and studies how grading factors affect end-use properties. Crop research also develops new uses for Canadian grain and evaluates new varieties as part of the variety registration process.
Technology research programs include:
- Variety Identification Research and Monitoring
- Trace Organics and Trace Elements Analysis
- Grain Biotechnology Research
Research related to technology evaluates and develops methods used to assess the quality and safety of Canadian grain.
Annual Program Report
- Download the Grain Research Laboratory, Annual Program Report, 2018 (PDF, 3.93 mb) for more information about our research and activities.
- Download the Grain Research Laboratory, Annual Program Report, 2017 (PDF, 6.44 mb) for more information about our research and activities.
- Download the Grain Research Laboratory, Annual Program Report, 2016 (PDF, 2.28 mb) for more information about our research and activities.
- Download the Grain Research Laboratory, Annual Program Report, 2015 (PDF, 3.64 mb) for more information about our programs.
Cargo quality monitoring
Provides analytical testing of export grain shipments (example, mycotoxins, pesticides, variety composition) to ensure they meet Canada’s grading and quality parameters.
Plant breeder line evaluation
Provides testing and recommendations for the advancement of breeder line seed.
Harvest Sample Program
A yearly survey of the crop quality for that year’s harvest. Producers send in a voluntary sample of their harvest, and in return receive a free, unofficial Canadian Grain Commission grade. Data from this survey is used to generate a harvest quality report of Canadian grain.
Requests for service analysis
Provides analytical services of samples submitted by the industry for testing, at times for a fee.
For more information about programs and research in the Grain Research Laboratory, please contact us.
You may also use the Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS) to find the contact information for a specific Canadian Grain Commission employee.
Find information about our scientific experts.
- Date modified: