Domestic mustard seed: Grading
- Net weight of sample
- The sample after cleaning and removal of dockage is referred to as the cleaned sample. Its weight is the net weight of the sample. For grading, percentages by weight refer to percentages of the net weight.
- Kernel counts (K)
- A kernel count is the number of kernel-sized pieces in a 500 g sample.
- Hazardous substances in samples
- Wear gloves and a mask to handle any samples that you suspect may contain hazardous substances. Hazardous substances are defined in the Regulations as “any pesticide, herbicide, desiccant or inoculant.”
- A crush is one pass of the roller under firm pressure over a seed stick on masking tape.
- Non-registered varieties
- Where grain of any kind is not a registered variety under the Seeds Act, no person shall, except with the permission of the Canadian Grain Commission, assign a statutory grade to that grain which is higher than the lowest grade established by regulation for that kind of grain.
Representative portion for grading
All grading is done on representative portions divided down from the clean sample, using a Boerner-type divider.
The terms “Minimum” and “Maximum” refer to the range of sample portion size to be analyzed when an objective factor is present. The optimum representative portion (see glossary) is determined by taking into consideration the tolerance and concentration of the objective factor being assessed.
|Grading factor||Sample portion size range|
|Blotched (Oriental mustard seed)||5||25|
|Colour||working sample||working sample|
|Distinctly green||500 seeds||1000 seeds|
|Excreta||working sample||working sample|
|Fertilizer pellets||working sample||working sample|
|Fireburnt||working sample||working sample|
|Heated||500 seeds||1000 seeds|
|Inconspicuous admixture (Brown & Oriental mustard seed)||5||25|
|Odour||working sample||working sample|
|Other distinctly deterimental seeds (Yellow mustard seed)||5||25|
|Soft earth pellets||working sample||working sample|
|Stones||working sample||working sample|
|Treated seed||working sample||working sample|
|Wild mustard seed||5||25|
- Date modified: