- Net weight of sample
- The sample after cleaning and removal of dockage is referred to as the cleaned sample. Its weight is the net weight of the sample. Percentages by weight for grading refer to percentages of the cleaned sample, or the net weight.
- Hazardous substances in sample
- Wear gloves and a mask to handle any samples that you suspect may contain hazardous substances. Hazardous substances are defined in the Regulations as “any pesticide, herbicide, desiccant or inoculant”.
- Canada Eastern Other Wheat
- The selection of CEOW wheat varieties is the responsibility of the receiving elevator. Each individual company has their own selection criteria and specifications. All CEOW selected will be graded according to the specifications listed in the Wheat CE Other Wheat primary grade determinant table.
- Non-Registered Varieties
- Where grain of any kind is not a registered variety under the Seeds Act, no person shall, except with the permission of the Canadian Grain Commission, assign a statutory grade to that grain which is higher than the lowest grade established by regulation for that kind of grain.
Representative portion for grading
All grading is done on representative portions divided down from the clean sample, using a Boerner-type divider.
The terms “Minimum” and “Maximum” refer to the range of sample portion size to be analyzed when an objective factor is present. The optimum representative portion (see glossary) is determined by taking into consideration the tolerance and concentration of the objective factor being assessed.
|Grading factor||Sample portion size range|
|Artificial stain||250||working sample|
|Binburnt kernels||250||working sample|
|Dark immature kernels||50||100|
|Excreta||working sample||working sample|
|Fertilizer Pellets||working sample||working sample|
|Fireburnt||working sample||working sample|
|Grasshopper, armyworm damage||50||100|
|Grass green kernels||50||250|
|Hard vitreous kernels, sieving||250||250|
|Hard vitreous kernels, handpick||10||25|
|Matter other than cereal grains||50||250|
|Odour||working sample||working sample|
|Other cereal grains||50||250|
|Other cereal grains and other matter||50||250|
|Sawfly, midge damage||10||50|
|Severe midge damage||50||100|
|Severely mildewed||100||working sample|
|Shrunken and broken||250||250|
|Soft earth pellets||working sample||working sample|
|Stones||working sample||working sample|
|Treated seed||working sample||working sample|
|Wheats of other classes or varieties||15||50|
- Date modified: