Preparing grain bins
Before filling grain bins or using temporary storage, clean the bins or storage site thoroughly.
Follow these steps each time you empty a bin and before filling it with new grain:
- Eliminate dust and dockage from any cracks in the bin.
- Repair holes, cracks and leaks in the bin and cracks in the floor if it is concrete.
- Clean under the floor grates.
- Apply approved insecticides to disinfest grain bins
- For temporary storage - clear area of all debris.
- For temporary storage - ensure area is graded sothat water flows away from the grain.
Temporary storage may be defined as storing grain in a location for a short period of time prior to marketing. It is often used when current storage is full and marketing conditions are not attractive.
Temporary storage may include using
- Structures not intended for grain storage, for example, machine sheds
- Bunker storage. In this case, the ground, bunker and covers should be prepared appropriately.
- Piling grain on the ground. In this case, preparing the ground and tarp is important to preserve grain quality.
- Date modified: