Quality of Western Canadian malting barley 2016 - Brewing trials
Brewing trials conducted by the Canadian Malting Barley Technical Centre according to standard brewing conditions indicated that malts made from CDC Copeland and AC Metcalfe performed satisfactorily without posing any specific processing difficulties.
CDC Copeland exhibited comparable conversion time and slightly longer lautering time, but similar brewhouse efficiency compared with 2015 malt. The average wort colour was lighter than last year. The high attenuation limit indicated excellent fermentability of CDC Copeland malt in 2016.
AC Metcalfe exhibited similar conversion time, slightly longer lautering time and lower brewhouse efficiency compared to 2015 malt. The average wort colour was lighter than last year. The high attenuation limit indicated good fermentability of AC Metcalfe malt in 2016, which was comparable to 2015.
Note: Average values of 4 brewing trials performed with malt from 2016 crop
|Conversion time (min.)||16||16|
|Time to clear (min.)||7||5|
|Lautering time (min.)||49||46|
|Brewhouse Efficiency (%)||87.8||88|
|Wort Colour (SRM)||3.89||4.37|
|Attenuation Limit (%)||88.9||87.6|
|Conversion time (min.)||12||12|
|Time to clear (min.)||7||7|
|Lautering time (min.)||49||45|
|Brewhouse Efficiency (%)||86.5||88.5|
|Wort Colour (SRM)||4.42||5.57|
|Attenuation Limit (%)||84.9||85|
- 100% all malt brew with 40 kg of malt (water to malt ratio of 3.75:1)
- Mashing: mash in at 48 °C; 30-minute hold; temperature raise at 1.5 °C per minute to 65 °C; 30-minute hold (iodine conversion test every minute); temperature raise at 1.5 °C per minute to 77 °C; one-minute hold. Transfer mash to lauter tun with 25 L underlet water.
- 10-minute rest in lauter tun followed by a vorlauf (wort clarification) until wort clarity reading is below 100 FTU. First wort collected into kettle followed by a hot water sparge of the grain bed using 125 L of water at 77 °C to a total volume of 275 L in brew kettle.
- Boil for 90 minutes with 9% evaporation rate. Hop additions of Nugget at 0 minutes into boil time and Mount Hood at 85 minutes into boil time.
- Cool wort and force ferment overnight using 600 ml of wort and 120 g of lager yeast slurry.
- Date modified: